Mermaid Waves


Mermaid Waves

I hope everyone is having a great week. I will show you how to achieve mermaid curls today.
I have always strived for the perfect "Beach Waves" since middle school. I know I looked ridiculous then, I would put 10 lbs of Aussie mousse in my hair and hold a blow dryer to it as I scrunched as much as I could in one hand until it was dry and CRUNCHY! Haha.... beach waves? No! more like I stuck my finger in a light socket. 

Over the past few months I have discovered Deva Curl Products. Have you heard of them? A lot of people with curly hair have I'm sure. But I had no idea my hair had so much natural wave in it until I tried these products. Living Proof also has a curl line and if you do these same techniques you can achieve the same look.

So there is four types of curls: corkscrew, curly, wavy, and s'wavy. I have s'wavy hair. AKA sort of wavy. 

Below I have listed pictures and how to instructions. Sorry there's so much typing, the instructions are very in depth, I tried to make it so you all can understand.



Start out with dry hair (before you shower) and brush your hair. Because this is almost your only opportunity to brush it. I like using this wet brush. If you don't have this brush in your life get it! Seriously.


Get your hair completely wet like you normally would on a "washing hair" day :).

Start out with Deva Curl No-Poo . Yes, this is the shampoo. You are going to scrub with the pads of your fingers on your scalp only. You can run it through the ends at the end of the wash, but this is not necessary. As you do not want to strip all of the oils off of your hair, this can make it dry and cause frizz. 
DRY HAIR = FRIZZ 
 Hi extensions! Yes even my extensions will do Mermaid Waves.
 Apply a large amount of the Deva Curl One Condition to your hair. Now when you have this in your hair you are going to want to "brush" your hair one last time with your fingers and start actually forming some waves/curls together. So you will work this into your hair for about 3-5 minutes. Pressing the product into your hair as you are running your hands through. You can even pinch each piece, like you are wringing tiny pieces out. 

This is where you are putting all the moisture back into your hair.


Rinse the conditioner out of your hair until the water looks milky. So you will leave a little in there. Some people with really dry hair can barely rinse any out. 

 You want your hair to be dripping wet! DO NOT wring it out. Flip your head over like mine is after you have turned your water off and your conditioner is partially/almost rinsed out.


Then, while your hair is soaking wet and your head is upside down in the shower, get some Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel in your hands. (I use quite a bit of this) and brush your hands over the outsides of your hair. As if you were petting your hair almost. Ha I can't think of a better way to describe this method.
After you have applied the gel start scrunching upward like I'm doing in the pics below. Don't run your fingers through your hair. Just scrunch. 

 

You will then grab your Deva Curl Towel or your boyfriend/husband's/your old white T (like a hanes shirt) and lay the towel over your hands and scrunch again with the towel in your hands. 
I always use the Deva Towel but if you don't have one a shirt will work. You don't want to use a normal terry cloth towel because it will create frizz.

This is my hair just after I've done all of the above, no drying. You can let your hair air dry like this. Be careful not to whip your head up, do more of a lift while turning your head so you don't whip your curl straight.

My hair needs a little help with body and this just speeds things up a bit so I'm going to continue and use the Deva Curl Diffuser. I love this diffuser because it is shaped like my hand so I can really get the "fingers" up and under my hair to create extra wanted body. It also blows out of every direction so you are not so worried about the curls/waves being in the diffuser. 

This diffuser also stretches to fit on most blow dryers.



Wa-La Mermaid Waves!









You can find Deva Curl products at Ulta here.
I linked a trial kit for you to try if you'd like.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial, let me know if you have
any questions.

XO,
Britany