Is your makeup expired?

Is your makeup expired?

If you are like me you use the same 5-7 products daily. #1 because it's easy, #2 because you know it looks good together, and #3 you know where they are. But what about the rest of your makeup? The ones that are at the bottom of your drawer, or in the back of your cabinet... how long have they been there? One month or five years? I guarantee you I have some eye liner or lip gloss from high school. Let's clean our makeup out! 

I cleaned my makeup out this weekend and couldn't believe how much I had!! And I can hear my husband in the background "Don't buy anything until this is gone" ha ha.... Well now it is gone. There will always be a new product I NEED!

Unlike food, makeup companies aren't required to put expiration dates on their products. So I've put together a few standards of how long you should keep your makeup and believe it or not every item is different. Some items may have a date on them, an M (month), a Y (year), this is the date that applies AFTER you open it not buy it. If there is not a date, try to remember when you got it. If you can't remember, it probably should be tossed!

 When to throw out makeup

Why?

These items are applied around sensitive areas, so we must be extra cautious. Mascara tubes are dark and wet, bacteria loves this. (yuck I don't want that on or near my eyes) Try swirling your mascara brush instead of pumping it, which causes bacteria to be shoved in. And I know most of you like to use your fingers to get your eye shadow on... (it's so much faster) that's fine just make sure you wash your hands before you do that. This can prevent bacteria from growing in your eye shadow.... or your lids. :(
Keep a look out for color changing in your shadows, this means they are old.
Just think of this bacteria infecting your eye... pink eye? stie? Oh no! If there's a way to prevent that I am all for it! 
Water-based (again.... bacterias love them). Keeping your make up out of your car during the warmer months can prevent these high temps from encouraging bacteria growth in your makeup.
-For your powder foundation- I like to put mine on after I have primed my face with a tinted moisturizer. If you do the same make sure your moisturizer or primer is dry before applying powder foundation. This way your brush stays dry and dirty things won't stick to your brushes. 
If your powder foundation starts cracking that's a sign too.
foudation
Concealer is made to cover blemishes. Not promote them! ....did a light bulb just go off in your head? This could be the reason for those annoying break outs that you have tried so many different face washes, treatments, Dr. visits for, etc.
Concealer will sometimes shift in color and you will know it has gone bad.
hmmm... I feel like I shouldn't have to say much on why your lip products could have bacteria. 
What if you had a cold or something, even the flu. Before you knew you had this you were using your favorite lipstick. Well, now that lipstick has a little left of your sickness on it. :\
-Your glosses will become streaky and you will know it is time to find a new favorite.
Your brushes will last as long as you take good care of them and they are good quality. You will know they are bad when they have lost their normal shape, bristles are falling out, your brush is stiff, or it even smells bad. Clean your brushes regularly and store them in a glass container or some kind of container where they can sit up right and dry out. Also when you wash your brushes don't let them dry on a towel, towels can be prone to mildew. Instead put them in their upright container.
how to store makeup brushes


If you have any other questions or suggestions on what kind of tutorials and some info you are wondering email me at britanymarshallbeauty@gmail.com or comment below! Have a great weekend!

Purchase below:
BMB Makeup | Nutraluxe Lash MD